Tuesday, December 1, 2009

wow factor.

tomorrow is my last day at RI. a sad realization. i have had the opportunity to do so many things that i did not know i was capable of. today when i met with my supervisor he challenged me on life questions and gave me great advice. after he gave me advice on the future and steps i should strive to take to make it in the refugee realm of a career, i asked him what he would advise me personally in my own growth. he said this:

"take yourself more seriously. i think you are self-conscious of things that you should not be. there is a power inside of you that you need to let go. you have a compassionate heart and it is full of passion. you are smart and are able to do many things that you do not realize. you need to embrace the power you do have and not think lower of yourself" (coming from a christian man).

woah. i almost cried. he NAILED it right on.

{once he said those words i felt like a bird coming out of a cage, released, and able to fly}

true confession: i do not take myself seriously because of my personality at times. i do not laugh because i am trying to brush something off, it is just my natural state. i haven't had to exercise the serious and passionate angela as much as i have had to exercise the free spirited angela in my life thus far. there are MANY things i care deeply about and have a good knowledge about- right now i would say i am pretty knowledgeable about refugee issues. there are a lot of things we are all capable of doing, but sometimes we do not take ourselves seriously or see our full potential. i can look in the mirror and see someone who is great at communicating with others and should work with direct services. i know that, but there are other things i have not allowed myself to fully embrace. i want to move forward from this internship knowing that all the things i thought were impossible are not. all the things i thought were scary about an internship or a job are not. things take work, perserverence, and time. its just apart of life.


new goal: let the power from within be released, passion flow, and be articulate and intentional about my work.

No comments: