Saturday, December 5, 2009

West Coast Feel


Even though i love the east coast, there is a certain feel that tingles up my spine when i think of the "west coast," specifically San Francisco.

I just watched "Four Christmases" and had a glimpse of the beautiful city that i have spent most of my life around. In certain sections of the movie, it took some beautiful shots of the golden gate bridge, the fog, city lights, and even good old Union Square. My Bay Area pride CAME BACK! Haha, for those of you reading this you are probably saying "Oh God." But do not fret I also have D.C. pride... equally or maybe MORE then the Bay Area.

Although this last week I have come to the realization that I can no longer suppress my feelings and have to face them, I have also came to the fact that going home to something I am familiar with is not that bad.

So in order to foster and cultivate this semi-excitement I have reflected on a few things that are exciting about home. One thing I am excited about is to see mountains and hills. I can't wait to look out my window and be faced with the Foothills. Hm, that will be nice. It will also be nice to see a snow capped Mt. Diablo. I am also excited to drive on windy roads that are covered by trees and to hop in my car and go on a hike five minutes away. That will be real nice. It sounds pleasant to sit inside of Tully's and run into lots of random people that I have not seen for years. Sleeping in my heavenly bed where I do not have to toss and turn, but can awake from my slumber in the same position... that will be nice. Waking up to the smell of bacon because of my Dad's never ending generosity with food will be a treat. As I run out the door I have the assurance of knowing that chocolate covered raisins will be on the island in the kitchen, ready to be tasted by these taste buds. Hm... those are just a few of the reasons I am excited to be home.

Now now, that sounds like I am all about the petty and little things in life. Which is some what true.

I am also excited to not be working for once in my life! Every single time I come home I have a job and do not make time for a social life (that sentence makes me sound like 30 instead of 20). Since I will have so much free time I am going to finish my long awaited online geology class, that has taken me WAY too long. I am also going to volunteer for the IRC in San Jose and tutor/mentor Refugees :)

A few things I do realize...X will be very tired of my endless calls because I will want to hang out so much. Meghan will hang out with me for a week straight and then start to screen my calls because she will get so busy. And she will also make me go to social activities I do not want to go too... but then in the long run I will be thankful.

You see... there is a difference between my home friends and myself. They are very good at staying in contact with people from church and most of them live at home. Their social life has continued at home and has grown... where I have moved. I have friends from home, biola, and now D.C. The friends I have from home are a narrow amount of people I want to spend time with, including Meghan, X, Mel, and Becca. There are others... but those are the people I actually talk with.

To say the least, I am trying to get excited to go home. Time is ending here. I cannot change that, although I wish I could. So instead of basking in my sadness, I need to look towards something else: home.

No comments: