Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Tijuana

If anyone knows me they know that I love my broken Spanish. It doesn't bother me at all and I still try to get by with it. On Monday morning, almost before the sun came up, a group of us World Vision employees jumped in a van and headed off to Tijuana, Mexico. The intention of the trip wasn't to come and do a week long missions trip, but to see what World Vision is doing on the field level. After all, the whole reason that World Vision exists is to do transformational work through communities.

Let me just tell you, it was amazing to see what World Vision is doing on the ground level. There seems to be a huge disconnect between the field when you are working in the Governance Dept, which deals with the highest people in society.

The place that we visited was an Urban Development Project (UDP). Ladies in the community came together, the children came together, and their husbands came to serve on the day that we were there to serve them. I thought they were just going to give us a ton of work to do, but instead they worked right along with us.

The things I took away from this tiny two day get-away were the following:

  1. The work that WV does is sustainable. 50% of the funding comes from WV and the other 50% is from the community.
  2. The people who run the community center are dedicated and see it as a place that is transforming their communities.
  3. I saw hands on how the sponsored children felt empowered and were able to do more for their community because of the support of donors.
  4. Mexican's are hard workers! Especially the women- I was put to shame.
  5. There is a disconnect between the office and the field. I am so glad I got to see what the top actually does for the bottom- what WV is truly their for. I am glad that they have a program set up called "Vision Trips" so WV Employees can experience the work of WV on the field level.
I am just so in awe of how sustainable everything was on the field. Our Northern mind-sets sometimes have a hard time embracing and putting sustainability into practice, but the community center and the other projects that the UDP was working on were 100% community owned. I loved it.

Even though it was a short two day trip- it was the highlight of my time at World Vision. Lots of hugs and kisses saying "Adios" to those ladies and children.

No comments: