Thursday, August 26, 2010

Re-vamp

Last year when I interned at Refugees International and now this summer at World Vision I walked into the internships thinking that they were going to change my life. I thought that they would be filled with wisdom, lots of interesting people, and jobs that were infused with passion. I was somewhat right. I met a lot of really interesting people at both of these organizations. So interesting in fact that today when I was going over my syllabus in Community Development that I realized we are reading a book from my boss and another book from one of the Advisory Councils. Crazy.

After my internship in D.C. I realized that working in the office was not for me. I remember taking Myers Briggs quite a few times and read bio's on what kind of jobs would work best for an ENFJ. It always came down to social worker, teacher, or event coordinator. 

Before working at World Vision this summer I was stoked again. I forgot that I hate working in an office and accepted the reality that I will have to work in an office in order to make it to the field someday. Do not get me wrong, I really enjoyed my job this summer. I just do not think I am meant to work in an office (sounds naive since I am a college student). I think that God made people to live life to their full potential and if you saw me in an office you would see that I am drowning. Literally. Maybe it all comes down to the fact that I have not been in an office job where I am completely passionate, but that is besides the point. 

Today in Community Development my passion for development was renewed. All summer long development became this thing that was editing papers for the common good of children (that I constantly had to remind myself). All summer I felt like development was putting too much attention on unnecessary detail and people forgot about what the work was actually for. There will always be a great disconnect between the office and the work that is actually on the ground.

Raw and real development isn't all about that- although that is necessary. Today in class my passion for this subject came alive again. I was super  burnt out after this summer and after last fall. This tends to happen often when I am in an office setting doing something related with Relief or Development. When I worked at MIKA I knew I had to work directly with the people- that is where lives are changed and people are empowered. 

I am just happy that God never lets me forget, no matter how stubborn I am, that He desires His people to live lives that are whole and restored (Isaiah 61). Take a read and notice how community development is desired by God.

1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, 
       because the LORD has anointed me 
       to preach good news to the poor. 
       He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, 
       to proclaim freedom for the captives 
       and release from darkness for the prisoners, 
 2 to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor
       and the day of vengeance of our God,
       to comfort all who mourn,
 3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
       to bestow on them a crown of beauty
       instead of ashes,
       the oil of gladness
       instead of mourning,
       and a garment of praise
       instead of a spirit of despair
.
       They will be called oaks of righteousness,
       a planting of the LORD
       for the display of his splendor.
 4 They will rebuild the ancient ruins
       and restore the places long devastated;
       they will renew the ruined cities
       that have been devastated for generations.


No comments: