Monday, October 5, 2009

Self Discovery

As I sit here writing, the sense of freedom is flowing from my finger tips. Why? Because I am choosing to write this, I am not being forced to write it. I am coming to realize, especially this semester, among many others things about myself.

#1 I am not the biggest fan of being in classes where I do not have the choice to leave if I could like to. Let’s say I am having horrible heart burn, I don’t think I could leave without people asking where I was going, considering there are six of us in my global humanitarian enterprise class. If I were in a 100 bible class, where there are 300 people, I could leave and no one would no. Not the case here.

#2 I never want to have a desk job. Now that is not very realistic, but I do not want more then 50% of my time spent at a desk. I feel like it kills my soul, starring at a computer, doing research. Granted, the research I have been doing is interesting, but it sucks the life out of me. God made me to interact with people and well the computer isn’t the best at having a conversation, so I do not think an office job will cut it.

#3 I am learning not to take things personally. My boss is a bit crazy and loves to yell at me and demand me to do things. I am learning that someone can be a little crazy and I can still embrace them for who they are.

#4 I know I change my career direction a lot, but I really enjoy PR kind of stuff. The more I have been helping with events at my internship the more I like it. Reflecting back on my freshmen year when I volunteered on the Marketing and Hospitality team for Missions Conference, the feelings of accomplishment and feeling like God used me in a way that I was created for. I love making sure people feel welcomed and comfortable, another reason why I continue to do Eagles Club. Who knows what direction God will lead me, all I know is I don’t want to do research (at a computer) for the rest of my life.

#5 Yesterday the internship coordinator had a few students from WJC and ASP over to her apartment in Arlington. Now before I went to California I kept telling myself “I am moving to this city!” I do love this city. But after going back to California and being immersed in the calmness of life, I realized how crazy and intense it is here! Taking the metro into Arlington and walking to Elizabeth’s cute quaint neighborhood, I was reconciled with the calmness of home again. The idea of working in the city and living outside of the city is an idea that has been floating around in my head. Arlington is so cute and lots of young people live there- because it’s so expensive in the city!

#6 Wherever I go, I cannot escape kids. I do not know if this is God’s way of showing me how much I love them, but wherever I go (school and home), I end up meeting an adorable kid. Sarah, Mary, and Jasmine are all girls who live in the apartment building here in D.C. Kids are such a gift from God. They bring life. They bring adults to place where they need to be selfless. They bring adults back to the simple things in life. It is quite beautiful.

#7 I do not have enough fingers to count how many times people say “Angela, when aren’t you laughing,” which is so funny to me. Yes, I do laugh a lot. And yes, there are times where I am not laughing. I do see the beauty in this. It is truly the joy of the Lord and nothing else. If God made me to giggle a lot and find the good in a lot of things, He must be a God who loves laughter and sees the good in His creation. Hmm, God you are so good.

All this to say, I would appreciate your prayers…
Please pray for:
-My heart to break for what breaks Gods… and for my heart to love what God loves.
-For God to continue to open and shut doors. I would love for Him to continue to show me how He has made me- vocationally.
-To invest and build in my friendships here.

No comments: