Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Praying towards Mecca


Today at work while I was helping in the development department I saw something that I do not see everyday: a devout Muslim praying during one of the designated prayer times. This is America and the 1st Amendment was being acted out upon.

Every day I have the chance to show that I am in a Christian, but it not necessarily going onto a room during work and praying, although that is something to consider.

Once I saw her praying I became instantly aware of the 1st Amendment, especially in the workplace. I do want to admit something that most Christians would not admit to: I was excited to see her praying. I do have my reasons for this. I was excited first and foremost that my organization allows people to practice their religion in the work place. I have had the chance to share the gospel with a few girls in the office, why can't she have the freedom to pray? I pray all day long, but she just chooses to pray with her body. We are seen as equals. I also see the beauty in other cultures and religions. By no means do I think all religions lead to one God, I just got excited because her religion is clearly related to her culture.

I love different cultures and people who are different then me, so that is definitely a leading factor. Within my five minutes of excitement, something else hit me. She does not know the love of Jesus. So many rituals, so many ideas, so many myths. She does not know the love of the Lord Jesus Christ. People are searching my friends, every day, all around us. Day after day the Lord is showing me that He has died for... yes, the person standing in front of me at the grocery store, the person who is cleaning the office, the person who is yelling at me to get her work done, and yes also for the person who is smoking outside and cussing on the phone. He has died for us all, it is just a matter of whether or not that person knows about Jesus, has experienced His love, and if the Holy Spirit is clearly working in that persons life.

Romans 10 says:
14
How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

I think this should be a prayer that all of us should be praying: Lord, open our eyes to those who are searching for your love and show us how to love them.

No comments: