Saturday, October 23, 2010

Worth it.

"Tyler, Tyler, Tyler...!" After trying to get his attention, I had to start repeating his name. I was working with three kids who have learning disabilities and are often neglected. The teacher does not have time to spend with them in class because of all of the material that she needs to cover. When volunteers come in it is a huge help, because these students get some one-one-one time. 

I was askied to work on grammar with them. Their poor little brains do not comprehend it well and it seemed completely foreign to them. After about ten minutes the sentence, "I walked to the store yesterday" instead of "I walk to the store yesterday" finally made sense.

I feel so bad for these kids because they feel so lost during instruction and need way more attention then someone can give them.  They need testing and aids. 

As I left the classroom I was thinking "Man, I hope I wasn't too hard on Tyler since I was trying to get him to focus." Side note: He is a pretty shy kid as it is and has a hard time opening up.

The kids were at recess when I was leaving. He saw that I was leaving, ran up to me, wrapped his arms around my legs tightly and said, "Thank you Miss Angela." 

That hug expressed more than words could. That is why I am excited about this journey.



No comments: