Thursday, October 28, 2010

Teaching

Today when I walked into the classroom of second graders they all screamed. They were stoked- it has only been a week since I saw them last.

I was feeling the love big time. It was two kids birthday's and the teachers (who was having a hard time teaching because she was sick). Because of this I had the opportunity to read with the kids individually during their silent reading time. I almost started crying- one of the kids was having such a hard time reading that he was completely silent. He was tearing up and I just wanted to hug him and find out what is going on inside his brain. This made me want to learn more about learning disorders, how to address them, and how to work with them. It is not right for a student to be grade levels behind when the other students are not. Ah- it killed me.

I read a story to the kids for about 20 minutes. It was so great because we went over all the things they were learning about different vocabulary, non-fiction vs. fiction, and inferences. I was eating it UP- I felt so alive.
Not to mention that the Principal walked in while I was reading- which for some reason gave me great energy.

The students did a worksheet that was about nouns- which we went over and corrected afterwards. I REALLY LOVE explaining grammar to kids- nouns, verbs, and adjectives for these second graders. They just love learning so much and are easily molded that I am awe.  Learning should never get old. I feel like I am on the same level as them sometimes because we both love learning and the process of it.

Today was my last day with them. I am pretty bummed- but feel really blessed too. I had the chance to observe a teacher who was a Christian in a really diverse public school. Most of these kids come from broken families.

I got lots of hugs as I left and a lot of little kids screaming, "You are such a great Teacher Ms. Angela." As I left the teacher I observe told me that I am a natural and that I will be a great teacher!

I am just basking in encouragement. I feel so blessed- and I praise the Lord above all else for this experience.

1 comment:

Rachel McCord said...

get it girl, thats awesome.