Saturday, October 16, 2010

Thankful in the Midst

I stress constantly. This is something that I have come to know more and more about myself throughout college. This is also something I do not like about myself at all. This year, as to be expected, is quite stressful. I have heard from previous classmates that Gospel and Culture should be called "Gospel and Torture," which I would agree with only in a slight sense- due to the large amount of reading. This year I have a different professor teaching the class then usual and the structure and expectations have changed a tad bit.

I went into class the other day expecting to get the approval to write about a community development initiative in Appalachia and the need for education to be improved and I left with the approval of writing about issues pertaining and affecting urban children in Memphis, TN. My professor asked me, "Well, is that what you really want to do?" And I went on to tell her about Memphis and she straight up said, "I want you to do what will benefit you in your future- something that you can use." Um... okay! Only at Biola- I tell you. I have been so encouraged by my professors. They are always here to back us up and have our best interest in mind. After class as I was leaving she went through her library and handed me a book that deals directly with the issues that I want my paper to discuss. Gospel and Culture is not so much torture after all... at least not yet.

I have been feeling really overwhelmed about a test that I am taking before I can go to Memphis, but God has been gracious with time. I have been studying up a storm- and I am relearning all United States history and math it feels ha. Which is somewhat sad... but hey I haven't done it in a while.

I am thankful for my roommates and for the close knit of friends who I have been able to hang out with only briefly recently. My social life has said "Adios" for a bit, but it will make a great return soon. I am sure of that.

And the last thing I am thankful for is the classroom that I have been working in. I am observing a 2nd grade classroom at a local La Mirada school and could not be more excited about it. It is my favorite time of the week. I walk out of the classroom every Thursday so happy,  feeling like I am on cloud nine. I have been able to work with students who have learning disabilities and students who are wanting to learn more and more every time I come in. I find myself dreaming about lesson plans- It is kind of odd. I still find it kind of funny that God is showing me this love my last year of school. Sometimes things work out this way!

Anyways, I just wanted to give a quick update.

No comments: