Wednesday, May 12, 2010

never would have thought


Your Christian Hipster Quotient:
71 / 120

High CHQ. You are a pretty progressive, stylish, hipster-leaning Christian, even while you could easily feel at home in a decidedly un-hip non-denominational church. You are conservative on some issues and liberal on others, and sometimes you grow weary of trendy "alt-Christianity." But make no mistake: You are a Christian hipster to at least some degree.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Find out if you are a "Christian Hipster" here.
This might be the silliest/kind of true test ever. I do not necessarily dress hipster, but I listen to music, read books, and probably react to situations that most "hipsters" would. Someone wrote a book about hipsters and Christianity- church meeting cool. It comes out this August. I think this is so silly that there is even a quiz. I can't get over it! I took it- so I guess I succumbed to the ridiculousness of it. All I know is that there are a lot of Christian Hipsters are Biola. I do not think it is bad that there are a lot of "hipsters," but just like anything in life I think it is important to make sure that you are not just following a trend or becoming too involved that it becomes some sort of idol or ideal that you are trying to fit into (which is actually kind of funny because people claim to be original but they all dress the same). I am not going to lie a lot of "hipster" dressing people are pretty darn cute. I think my favorite type of hipsters are in the bay though. That is probably because I am bias. Actually, it is most definitely because I am bias. Dessert hipsters are a good kind too. Hipsters from the bay have a different twist to them. They add in a little "yay" to the mix and add some Nike's. In ten years from now we will not be able to look back and say "Oh yeah, I remember all the good bands back then!" We all listen to lots of indie bands. P.s. speaking of that, I am obsessed with Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. I thought after four months I would be tired of them, but nope, I am not. I want to travel with them and become friends. Sounds like a good idea. Also love Florence and the Machine. Heck, I love the Avett Brothers too. Watch this music video. It will make you happy.

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros "Home" from Edward Sharpe on Vimeo.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
In other news, Dr. Sleeth, an Evangelical Environmentalist, came to speak in chapel today. I was so stoked and others were groaning as they entered the gym. He walked around the gym and asked students how God usually spoke to them. Most said the bible, by listening to the Holy Spirit, prayer, etc. Some guy said "through the trees," and I was stoked. God speaks to us in powerful ways through being in nature. There is a stillness about it. There is peace and tranquility and our souls are more inclined to gratitude as we thank God for what He has made for us. Since He has made it for our pleasure that means responsibility comes along with it. There is something interesting about Christian's who do care about the earth. There is a sense of commonality with non-Christians when it comes to this. If anyone has a heart, feels that the environment is important, and is apart of the green bandwagon, they will want to know more about it. I think caring about creation is a great way to share about our faith. The reason I care about creation is not necessarily because I just want to take care of it (although I have always been in love with nature), but because God cares. God has told us to taek care of the earth too. Its all throughout scripture. Nature is all throughout scripture. The tree of life was in the beginning and the end. That has to say something. I want to strive to live a life that is more ecologically sustainable. P.s. As I was typing this I just got really excited about camping. I don't even know when I am going again, but I sure hope it involves water, swimming, and kayaking in the midst of it all.

1 comment:

123 said...

One major feature of genuine ugg boots is that they have extremely soft interiors, which make them very comfortable to wear. The crucial material of these ugg is sheepskin which further offers more comfort to feet by regulating temperature according to the weather condition. Another feature is that authentic uggs is designed with an outsole that can provide extra traction and sufficient flexibility. They are also lightweight so you won't feel burdened with them. Besides, these ugg ultra tall boots always fit comfortably, making you feel like you are wearing a pair of woolen socks.