Monday, September 7, 2009

DC life thus far.

I absolutely love it here. And while I am writing this I am realizing what a horrible communicator I am when I leave and move onto another place. I get wrapped up in the moment, in the people, and forget to communicate with my other loved ones at home. So I apologize in advance, just know that I do love you, am thinking about you, but I am soaking in all that God has for me here, haha. I hope that works out.

Since being here I have been able to realize that I scream California girl, cut off shorts are not the norm, rainbows are not everywhere I look, and that froyo is not on every corner. I have also come to realize that the boys are different here. More dark brown brunettes, polo shirts, and nice cargo shorts. Girls seem to be paler with very nice clothes. Just a general observation.

Coffee shops close earlier, people are on the town eating and dining more often, and the architecture and brick are still captivating me.

DC is completely different than the bay area, to say the least. But I love it here. I know it’s only been a week, but I can see myself working here.

In the last week and a half or so I have been able to make fun friends, bond with others, and explore the city. We have been quite a bit of the city looking at the monuments, listening to the national symphony, seeing good old Ab at the Lincoln memorial, relaxing on the mall while seeing the beautiful reflection of the Washington Monument, playing Frisbee on the mall, and much more.
I have been a complete tourist, which I am completely okay with!

On Friday about eight girls and I went to an Irish Pub and stuffed our faces with fatty food, which is actually okay because I feel like I have been walking four miles every day, so I have been justifying it. Haha. On Saturday I did my lovely little cleaning job for forty bucks. In the afternoon I took a stroll on over to Eastern Market and bought fresh meat and produce! It beats Farmers Market in Pleasanton like crazy. I also found a pool I can swim in for free not to far from my apartment, super score! That evening a few girls, one of the guys, and I went to 9:30 club and danced to funk music. If anyone has a chance to go a Funk Dance Club, dooooo it! It is an excuse to dance horribly and no one cares. It was awesome. But I am pretty sure someone slipped a little something into my water because I felt a little out of it! After that we strolled on over to Ben’s Chili Bowl and I consumed the most divine vanilla shake my taste buds have ever tasted. Obama and Bill Cosby are supposedly the only people who eat for free there.

Yesterday was AWESOME because a few girls and I walked to Capitol Hill, just a few blocks from here, and saw the National Symphony play for free. It started to rain but we endured it…. It was so worth it. All of this said, I love it here. God is good.

No comments: