Sunday, March 22, 2009

I was and still am blown away.

Every year, well the last two years now, I have waited anxiously for missions conference. It should just be a holiday, because it is my favorite part of the year. I couldn't sleep on tuesday night because I was so excited for missions.

I woke up Wednesday morning praying that God would move hearts, that His powerful and loving spirit would be moving throughout missions conference, and that He would be glorified above all else.

Every single session, I saw God move. Chains were broken. Burdens were lifted. Prayers were prayed. Hearts were released. And many were reconciled with our God.

God's heart was shown, in a powerful way. His love for the nations and for all people to come to know Him was shown.

I felt like God really spoke to many people about His heart for the great commission, that it is not just there for some people, it it there for all. If you are a Christian, we are all responsible to be apart of the great commission in some way.

There was a wonderful Godly Lady by the name of Marilyn Laszlo who spoke at Missions conference. Marilyn grew up on a farm in Indiana, and one day after she heard her first missionary speak at her church, she made a commitment to God to be a missionary. After studying linguistics, she followed through with her commitment by serving with Wycliffe Bible Translators. She traveled to Papua New Guinea, with a translation partner to Hauna Village, the home of the Sepik Iwan People. She lived among the people, learned the unwritten language, created an alphabet, wrote books, and taught people to learn and write. Twenty-four years later, with the help of her sister and the love of God, they translated the bible for the Sepik Iwan people. Here is a picture I found online of some Iwan warriors.



I am blown away. Before time, God was at work with the Sepik people. Marilyn brought Jesus to these people. One thing that she said that I will never forget is, "There is nothing better than being in the center of God's will." She went on to say that she had dated many men, none who were up to being missionaries. She knew what God's will was for her. As do I... atleast a sense of direction. I wish I could listen to Marilyn for days, her stories and how God worked among those people moved me.

I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to not know who Jesus was. I can't begin to imagine what it would be like to not have a bible in my own language.

The plans that God has are crazy, wonderful, and all for a reason. I am thankful for the tower of babel, for different languages, and cultures. Because God is above all of them and can work through all of them. God is truly amazing.

Missions conference was awesome. Thank you MC staff and SMU.

1 comment:

Cody J. said...

I agree wholeheartedly. I came into missions conference being a Freshmen and not knowing what to expect, by the end of the week I didn't want it to be over. It was incredible. I had been considering studying missions before this conference and now my ideas are turning into goals and aspirations. I am overjoyed. God did so many wonderful things for myself and many others at that conference, praise him for that.