Friday, May 1, 2009

DC and Internship excitement.

All last week I was sitting with the thought "Dang it, this World Vision Internship isn't looking too sunny." So I did something about it. I searched my brains out finding internships yesterday (for D.C.).

Here are my new top picks:
1. International Rescue Comittee
2. USCRI
3. Bread for the World

I got REALLY excited when I read this job description for IRC:

(Here are some pictures of refuggees in Sudan, San Diego, Pakistan, and Oakland)






Employment and Special Programs Internship

One of the most integral parts of resettlement is employment. It is crucial for clients to be employed to become self sufficient. The IRC’s employment program helps clients prepare for their first job in the US. The intern for the Employment and Special Programs Coordinator will provide support for programs that enable clients. The intern will also participate in and organize specialized programs to better serve clients who have been in the United States for over eight months.

Responsibilities:
• Participate and conduct information sessions, workshops, and programs to address the needs of clients
• Help Job Developer identify, cultivate, and maintain relationships/partnerships with service providers and employers.
• Maintain database of contact information
• Collect and track relevant statistics on current programs and guide development of new initiatives
• Assist clients in planning for self-sufficiency through use of family budget
• Provide job counseling and acculturation to US workplace expectations. Assist in developing resumes and cover letters
• Coordinate client’s initial transportation needs to interviews, drug tests, and worksites.
• Follow up with employers/employees after job placement. Strive to resolve problems to employer’s and employee’s satisfaction.
• Help clients access community resources that address acculturation and adaptation

Qualifications:
• An interest in international and asylum issues
• Effective communication and writing skills
• Attention to detail
• Self-motivation and initiative to follow through on projects
• Interest in working in a multi-cultural setting
• Fluency/ proficiency in a second language is desirable -- Ha, this will be an issue.
• Minimum 20 hour per week commitment

(That is really long... and that is just one of the many internships I am excited about)

When I started on my internship search I was just thinking "Hmm, where could I be offered a job or what would a good government job be?" So past that. I love development, which is still government related. I love and want to empower people who don't think they can make it. I want to make others feel welcome in the states. I want others to feel loved.

I am coming to realize I can't see myself doing anything else but humanitarian/missionary work. Which... p.s. is SOO cool/such an awesome afirmation from the Emma J. Johnson Scholarship I just received; Praise God!

I am really excited about applying for these internships, but not excited eabout asking my professors for more references (I have asked Dr. Greene for so many- bless her heart)!

Side note: I looked up how many minutes it would take me to walk to the metro, get on the metro and arrive in maryland for the IRC internship, and walk to IRC... about 30-40 min and got WAY excited. Ah.

God has my internship figured out already. And I am so thankful for that.

No comments: