Monday, December 29, 2008

Be on Guard, keep awake

But concerning that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the son, but only the FATHER. Be on guard, keep awake. For you do not know when the time will come. It is like a man going on a journey, when he leaves home and puts his servants in charge, each with his work, and commands the doorkeeper to stay awake, therefore stay awake- for you do not know when the master of the house will come, in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or in the morning- lest he comes suddenly and find you asleep. And when I say to you I say to all: Stay awake.
The good words of Jesus in Mark 13:32-37.

This past Sunday I went to cornerstone fellowship with my Mom, a great church that I love, and had the amazing opportunity to dig deeper in the word on this passage. This is a passage that I often skim over because of course, Jesus is coming back but no one knows when. People can write books predicting all sorts of events that are leading to the return of Christ, but no one knows when. All we know is that he is coming back and only the Father knows.

So this is true, yeah? What can I as a follower of Christ do about it?

I am reminded of the disciples in Gethsemane. Jesus prays because he sorrowful, even to the point of death and tells his disciples to sit and pray. He found peter sleeping and said, “the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Again Jesus went away and prayed and he found the disciples sleeping again. A third time he came and they were asleep… for the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Wow, am I asleep?

I am reminded time and time again that my flesh is weak. I can say over and over again that I will do something, yet it will not get done. But in the midst of it I need to be awake, even though I know I will fall into the flesh and fall asleep many more times. It is through prayer, that the Holy Spirit gives us strength... and that is what I need to rely on!

“But when anything is exposed by the light, it becomes visible, for anything that becomes visible is light. There it says, ‘Awake, O Sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.’ Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise, but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.” Ephesians 5:13-17.

Christ wants us to be awake. He wants us to be “abiding in Him.” He is the vine and we are the branches. He wants us to abide in HIS love.

If the Father told us the day that Jesus was coming back, it would be one huge preparation but probably a big preparation right before he comes back. For some of the people who are Holy, they will be prepared way in advance making sure they are staying awake and being on guard. Others will do there thing the day before hand. The pastor on Sunday said it is kind of like when parents go away on a date. If they leave the kids at home and give them a list of things to do, they will most likely forget them until they hear the garage door open and run around the house doing the chores because they know they need to somehow get them done within the next minute.

I see it as good news that we don’t know when he is coming back. In the mean time, I am learning that I need to be awake and on guard. In order to be awake and on guard I need to be in communion with the Father, through Jesus Christ consistently.

The most exciting part about this sermon to me was that my Mom left the service saying, “I have been asleep, and now I am awake.” God has awakened her from her slumber, just like her has to me in my times of slumber… and has reminded Her that she is his beloved daughter.

1 comment:

The Ton Face said...

Don't forget though, that we who have been redeemed do have an inside lead on when Christ will return. That verse in Matthew is more written to those who are lost. We have been given the book of Revelation so that we may see the tell tell signs of the second coming and "take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near." I don't believe that we will be able to know the exact time, but he will not be like a theif in the night for those of us who have the Spirit, we can be prepared. So, like the kids left at home with chores to do, we can chose to be responsible and do the chores in a timely manner, or chose to be irresponsible. But we have the choice to live a life of true obidience, that responds to God exactly when He asks, and doesn't wait to the last minute.

Just some thoughts. Happy New Year.